About my WP technical writing work
After working on the web since 2007 as a developer, I am pursuing a career in technical writing and following my interest to write documentation for WordPress.
I am currently working as a WordPress technical content writer at WordPress.org. I am also the WP Block Editor end-user doc rep and release co-lead.
I have been actively contributing to the WordPress Docs team since 2021 (WP 5.8 release onwards). I was one of the Noteworthy Contributors to the 6.1, 6.0, and 5.8 releases.
Technical writing skills
- I have advanced WordPress experience – setting up new WordPress sites, installing and configuring themes and plugins, and troubleshooting errors.
- I have the ability to research and understand technical concepts and explain the features and capabilities of WordPress in simple terms.
- I write well-structured articles, edit and proofread my own work, and format posts and pages.
- I am proficient in image editing– taking screenshots and designing images so that they are clear, useful, and look good.
- I am skilled in SEO and know how to research keywords, and use them in the content I write.
- I am well-versed in GitHub, Markdown, Google Analytics, HTML, and Photoshop.
- I love tinkering with code, and sharing what I learn by creating technical content.
6.1 release as the release co-lead
- Triage the PRs for WordPress 6.1 end-user documentation.
- Create trackers with a detailed task list and assign priorities.
- Work on the 6.1 end-user block editor documentation for the high-priority pages – Styles overview, Template Editor, Site Editor, etc. Have the high-priority pages ready for the 6.1 release.
- Help the Docs team with onboarding new contributors to help with the documentation.
- Review and close the trackers once the contributors have worked on the content and make sure all the content is in line with the style guide in terms of content and design.
6.0 release as block editor rep
- Triage the PRs for WordPress 6.0 end-user documentation.
- Create trackers with a detailed task list.
- Work on the 6.0 end-user block editor documentation. Reworked the following pages:
5.9 release as a contributor
- Create new pages and update existing pages in the HelpHub block editor documentation for the 5.9 WordPress release. Below are a few examples I worked on:
5.8 release as a contributor
- Rewrite pages in the end-user docs(also called HelpHub) to remove the technical details, move the technical bits to the developer documentation and rebuild HelpHub. Below are a few pages I reworked for this project:
- Write meeting minutes for the Docs team meetings and publish them on the Make blog.
In addition to being nominated as one of the Noteworthy Contributors to the 6.1, 6.0, and 5.8 releases, here are a few good words written by my peers in the WordPress Documentation Team.